Skip to content Skip to footer

Home Guard Unit 1940

1940

About this memory

This is the the Second Battalion of the Home Guard whose headquarters were in a big house at the top of Wester Hailes Road on the Lanark Road called the Four Winds. The house is still there today.
The Second Battalion of the Home Guard was affiliated to the 9th Battalion of The Royal Scots who carried out their training and eventually they took over the guard duties on the Forth Bridge and guard duties in the R.A.F. barracks at Kirknewton.

This unit trained in the fields behind Parkhead Crescent.
Also called the Local Defence Volunteers, they were known locally as the Look, Duck and Vanish lads.

Tam Somerville is 3rd left on Third Row.
Frankie Bell, Willie Mason, Bob Fox, Bob Adams, Johnny Kinghorn, Willie Taylor and Andrew Collins and Jimmy Begbie are also in the picture.

Thanks to Christine Powell nee Somerville for the photo.

Categories

Location

Sighthill, Sighthill

Latest comments