Skip to content Skip to footer

Railway Bridge at the bottom of Cultins Road Sighthill. 1957

1957

About this memory

Cultins Road ran from the Canal Bridge on the old Calder Road towards Turnhouse and the Maybury.

In the 1950s, when this photo was taken, it was a narrow steep hill bordered by trees and fields.

It was also known locally as the German or "Jerry" road due to its close proximity to the Prisoner of War Camp near by.

For several years it was a favourite spot for Travellers to camp near.

The train is being pulled by "The Queen of Scots" making its way into Edinburgh

Thanks to David McMillan for use of his photo.

Latest comments