About this memory
This photograph shows the section of Victoria Terrace demolished 1966 to create space for the Lothian Region Building.
Victoria Street and Terrace were constructed between 1829 and 1834 to link the Grassmarket to George IV Bridge, also built at this time. The street cut through the pre-existing West Bow, joining its lower section for the final descent to the Grassmarket and blocking through traffic to its upper section leading to the Lawnmarket.
L P Bain
Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh, Old Town