About this memory
Front row, first right - Bill Guthrie.
Bruce Peebles was a major employer in the Granton area between 1904 -when the company moved to East Pilton - and 1999, when the works closed following a large-scale fire.
Originally gas lighting equipment was manufactured, followed by electrical products, including dynamos.
During the First World War munitions were produced; in the Second World War it was searchlights and mobile transformers, as well as minesweeping equipment for the Navy.
King George VI and Queen Elizabeth visited the works in 1942 and again in 1944, in recognition of the company’s contribution to the war effort.
A company merger in 1969 resulted in the change of name to Parsons Peebles.
Donor number: 0001-007