Skip to content Skip to footer

Women In Tenement Close And Balcony c.1940

1940

About this memory

Mrs Mary Robertson (née Anderson) sitting, with friends Mrs Jean Wilson and Mrs Cunningham.

No.19 Johnstone Street was a red brick building owned by A&R Hepburn (Engineers) of Dock Street, the tenement being built over Hepburns' workshops. The balconies - four levels, five houses per level - looked over to Dock Street. The building had a flat roof with clothes drying facilities and a wonderful view over the Forth and Edinburgh.

The building was demolished when the area was cleared in the 1960s. Mrs Robertson and Mrs Wilson were re-housed in Claremont Street and East Claremont Street.

Donor number: 0047-003

Latest comments