Elderly Couple Outside The Stair Entrance To Their Flat c.1952

1952

About this memory

Mr and Mrs McLaren.

The flat was lit by gas and the main heating was a range fire. Mr McLaren was a retired carter. They had twin daughters, Kay and Lucy, both of whom emigrated to Canada.

Kay used her savings from the Edinburgh Savings Bank at Deanhaugh Street to fund the sail to Canada. The bank later became a TSB and is now occupied by a restaurant chain.

The fire station was to the west of the flat. At the furthest west end of Saunders Street was Darling's Buildings with stairs leading up to India Place.

All these buildings have since been demolished (1960s?).

Donor number: 0128-006

Latest comments